Parent And Separating From Your Partner? 2 Times When You Should Hire A Child Custody Attorney

Posted on

If you are a parent and you are separating from your spouse, things are more difficult when there are children involved. Unless everyone is in complete agreement, you need to be careful and ensure your children are taken well care of. Before you start down this road below are two times when you should contact a child custody attorney to not only protect your rights but your children's rights also.

Divorcing Your Partner

If you and your partner are legally married and planning to divorce, you should consider hiring a child custody attorney no matter who well you and your partner get along. Even if you both agree on child custody arrangements you never know if your partner will change their mind in the future.

A child custody attorney can draw up child custody papers and turn them into the court, so everything will be completely legal.

You will have to come up with a visitation plan. For example, one parent may keep the kids full-time and the other get them on the weekend. You may want to have joint custody where you have the kids half the time and your partner has them the other half. There is also child support to consider. The attorney can ensure that you receive the right amount of support.

If your partner will not work with you, your attorney will bring your case to court and let a judge decide how things should be set.

Separating from Your Unmarred Partner

If you and your partner are not married but you have children together, you have to consider your legal rights if you and your partner split. If both you and your partner are deemed good parents and you cannot decide who should get custody, the child custody attorney can help you. If you do not hire an attorney you will have to go to court and a judge will decide who will take the children and the visitation rights of the other parent.

Child custody cases for unmarried partners with children work just like those partners that are married. This type of case is generally easier also because you do not have to worry about other things, such as who gets the home or other property.

Talk with a child custody lawyer, like Patricia L Riddick PLLC Atty, as soon as you decide to split from your partner. This will allow you to get started on the right foot, so things will go smoothly for all of you.